Friday, February 10, 2012

Scenery/ intercourse between Gethenian double-sexed and Hainishnorm one-sexed human beings

One of my favorite lines from chapter eighteen was

          “under certain conditions our exhalations freezing instantly made a tiny cracking noise, like distant firecrackers, and a shower of crystals: each breath a snowstorm. “

 It makes you realize how cold it actually is out. While throughout the whole book they tell you that it’s in the negative 40s I didn’t realize how cold it actually was until I read that sentence. One question I did have about this sentence is if that could actually happen when it’s forty bellow or if the author just put it in there to make the reader realize how cold it was out? It’s a silly questions but I was very curious about it. Another one of my favorite sentences that stood out to me was

         “I had imagined the Gobrin Ice Plateau to be all one sheet like a frozen pond, but there were hundreds of miles of it that were rather like an abruptly frozen , storm raised sea.”

 The whole time while I was reading this section I had been picturing the ice they were traveling through to be very endless and flat. This sentence put the image in my head of two small figures traveling through a giant frozen ocean.  I actually really enjoyed the image because it made me remember how far the two men were traveling and how weak they were compared to the land they were traveling through.  When I read the sentence

                     “I expect it will turn out that sexual intercourse is possible between Gethenian double-sexed and Hainishnorm one-sexed human beings, though such intercourse will inevitably be sterile,”

I was very confused at first if they had actually had sex. I had to read the sentence a few times to finally understand that they did. I had kind of wished that she had put a little more detail in about it. I felt like she built it up so much and then only used a few sentences to talk about it. Not that I wanted graphic details or anything haha but it would have been nice to know if it was awkward, or how it happened. I guess i’m just a sucker for romance books that’s probably why I was so disappointed with this part.

No comments:

Post a Comment