Thursday, February 9, 2012

Genry's cold and long ride in the truck

                One of my favorite parts of chapter thirteen was the line

 “We were all naked, but thereafter I wore his blood for clothing, on my legs and thighs and hands: a dry, stiff, brown garment with no warmth in it.”

When I read that sentence it made me cringe because the picture was so vivid in my head. I could just picture him sitting in the truck shivering and every time he gained enough courage to move the dry blood would crack and pieces would fall to the floor. When I got that image in my head it kind of reminded me of him getting colder and colder every time some of the dry blood would crack off.   I love how the author compared the blood that covered him to clothing with no warmth in it. That phrase produced an even clearer picture in my head making me actually shiver and wrap myself in a blanket. What I really love about this sentence is that with just a few choice words the author was able to make me feel what Genry was going through. While this one of the most devastating parts of this chapter it was one of my favorites because of how well the author described it.  That one sentence mad me very thankful to be sitting in my nice warm house.

2 comments:

  1. While I was reading Chapter 13, I kept thinking to myself about how horrible these people were being treated and what in the world did they do in order for them to get arrested. Ursula Le Guin, was so descriptive and vivid in this chapter. To the way she described the thirst and coldness of the prisoners to death of the man in the truck. I put myself in Genly’s shoes (to an extent), I thought about how cold and miserable I would have been if I were in that truck being driven to a destination where I could possibly get killed, be a slave or something worse. Another thing that I thought were weird was how the people never really talked to each other, but they still crowded around each other when it got extremely cold. Personally, I would have liked to get to know my ‘neighbors’, especially if I was going to be huddled together naked with random people. I mean, maybe just getting the name of the person next to me would suffice. Also, I’m with you when I read over that part with the blood, I shivered and kind of didn’t want to read on (I HATE blood), but I thankful that I did. In my opinion, this was one of the best written chapters of the whole book

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent analysis, both of you!

    ReplyDelete