Wednesday, April 18, 2012

The Diamond Age

I have to admit that through most of the first part of this book I did not like it. Most of the characters I did not like and Nell the one I did like I felt wasn’t written about enough. I would always get really excited when they flashed back to Nell and once I started getting into the back again they would flash back to my other characters and loss my interest. I feel like the reason I liked Nell character so much is because she had a lot of hands on experience with the primmer and I really enjoyed the fair tails that were told along with it. I also loved how as the story progressed the stories became more and more like Nell’s own life. I also feel like I enjoyed reading about her because I always pictured her as this adorable little girl. In my mind she looked something like this….

She’s just so cute how could you not fall in love with this character!? The only time that I started really getting involved in it without the author discussing Nell was at the very end of part one of the book. My interest pecked when Hackworth sees a woman covered with shimmering bits of lights. He gets off the mechanical horse and start following the woman. She disappears under the waves and Hackworth is sucked underwater and into a cave. The woman reappears and he follows her through some tunnels which end in a dome-like room partially covered by a huge screen. I hope this means that part two of the book is going to have a lot more action and peak my interest with the other characters in the book.

2 comments:

  1. Think further about what in the first part of the book is "so hard to get into"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alison, I agree with you that the first part of the book was a whirlwind of information that readers, or me, was taken off guard by. This is why it was so hard to get into the book for myself. I could not wrap my head around guns being implanted in people's heads and then later that there was a primer. I couldn't put myself into the story and I did not like that. However, when Nell's character was introduced, like you, I fell in love with her character. I know she will be a big part of the novel, or I hope she will be. It will be interesting to see if I become more involved with this book as Nell's character develops. I hope to see her become a strong female character and overpower the other female characters that a presented.

    ReplyDelete